Another painting finished. It's amazing how some paintings evolve over a matter of days. Looking back on my previous post, this painting began light and bright. I decided I needed to add much darker values to contrast the flower petals. I used some winsor violet to accomplish this along with a touch of prussian blue. I almost got carried away with the violet after seeing some incredible things happening after laying the paint onto the paper and pulling some of the color down with a damp brush.
Feeling like I may have gone past the point of no return, I had to lift off some of the darker values. This resulted in nice leaf shapes in the negative background space.
At times I have to listen to that little voice in my head saying "Put down the loaded brush and back away from the painting."